Employment and professional interests
I am currently a Doctoral Student at Aalto University School of Electrical Engineering, Department of Signal Processing and Acoustics.
My research topic is applying statistical morphology to machine translation into morphologically complex languages. I'm a part of the team working on Morfessor, a machine learning tool for morphological segmentation of natural language text.
My main professional interests are natural language processing and machine learning. I'm also interested in active learning, bayesian modeling, data visualization, and statistics.
- Diplomi-insinööri / Master of Science (Tech.) 2014
Aalto University School of Science
- Major: Information and Computer Science
- The degree was completed with distinction
- Bachelor of Science (Tech.) 2012
- Aalto University School of Science
- Matriculation Examination 2004
- Gymnasiet Lärkan
- Grönroos, S.-A., Virpioja, S., and Kurimo, M. (2015).
- Tuning Phrase-Based Segmented Translation for a Morphologically Complex Target Language. In proceedings of the Tenth Workshop on Statistical Machine Translation.
- Virpioja, S. and Grönroos, S.-A. (2015).
- LeBLEU: N-gram-based Translation Evaluation Score for Morphologically Complex Languages. In proceedings of the Tenth Workshop on Statistical Machine Translation.
- Grönroos, S.-A., Kristiina Jokinen, Katri Hiovain, Kurimo, M., and Virpioja, S. (2015).
- Low-Resource Active Learning of North Sámi Morphological Segmentation. In proceedings of the 1st International Workshop on Computational Linguistics for Uralic Languages.
- Grönroos, S.-A., Virpioja, S., Smit, P., and Kurimo, M. (2014).
- Morfessor FlatCat: An HMM-based method for unsupervised and semi-supervised learning of morphology. In proceedings of the 25th International Conference on Computational Linguistics.
- Smit, P., Virpioja, S., Grönroos, S.-A., and Kurimo, M. (2014).
- Morfessor 2.0: Toolkit for statistical morphological segmentation. In 14th Conference of the European Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics. Software Demonstration.
- Grönroos, S.-A. (2014).
- Semi-supervised induction of a concatenative morphology with simple morphotactics. Master’s thesis, Department of Information and Computer Science, Aalto University, Espoo, Finland.
- Virpioja, S., Smit, P., Grönroos, S.-A., and Kurimo, M. (2013).
- Morfessor 2.0: Python implementation and extensions for Morfessor Baseline. Report 25/2013 in Aalto University publication series SCIENCE + TECHNOLOGY, Department of Signal Processing and Acoustics, Aalto University.
- Grönroos, S.-A. (2012).
- Parallelliserad klassifikation av dokumentsamling med hjälp av MapReduce. Bachelor’s thesis, Department of Information and Computer Science, Aalto University, Espoo, Finland.